Top 7 Tips for Self Packing
Seven Tips for Self-Packing
If you’re planning a move, one of the things you’ll need to think about is how much of the work you want to do yourself. Moving is a big undertaking that requires lots of planning, tremendous organization and the ability to stay cool under pressure.
The easiest way to get this job done is to work with local movers who know the area and have fine-tuned the entire moving process into an efficient formula. A full-service move is definitely the way to go if you want the least strain on your time, patience and nerves. You’ll be amazed at how quickly professional movers do it, too.
Moving on a Budget
If your budget doesn’t allow for a full-service job, you can pack your items and then have professional movers pick them up and take them to your new home. This is a good way to save time and money.
The lowest-cost (and highest-stress) way is to pack it yourself and move it yourself. This might not be as inexpensive as you might think at first, once you factor in the costs of renting a truck, buying packing supplies and making multiple trips.
At Victory Van, we always recommend that you pack valuable items like jewelry yourself. You may also want to do the same with items that hold a great deal of sentimental value (a few exceptions, like the family piano).
If you’ve decided to self-pack some or all of your belongings, here are our top 7 tips for getting everything moved with greatest efficiency.
- Box it Up
- Wardrobe boxes with metal hangers make quick work of closets
- Use china barrels for dishes, glassware and other breakable
- You always need more boxes than you think you do
- Back it Up
- Copy computer files to an external or online storage system
- Keep your cell phone and charger with you
- Carry important documents in a sturdy binder or fireproof box
- It’s Home
To feel at home in your first days at the new place, pack one box of essentials
- Cofee maker and mugs
- Corkscrew and bottle openers
- Cosmetics and beauty items
- Toilet paper
- DVDs and books
- Keep Tabs
- Number each box
- In a moving notebook, detail what is in each box
- Use the notebook to keep moving schedules and information about any professional services used in your move
- Stack It Up
- Pack heavy items like books first
- Place lighter boxes on top
- Label or number each side of every box
- Markers and Miscellaneous
- Use heavy black markers to label boxes
- Seal them with professional packing tape
- When packing fragile items, packers’ paper is less bulky than using bubble wrap
- Furry Friends
- Keep pets in a separate room with food and beds during the move
- Do the same in the new home until the move is completed
However you decide to make your move, Victory Van can help. With our decades of experience in international and national relocation, you can be confident that we’ll handle your move and your belongings with the greatest of care. We back up our promises with an ironclad guarantee and our rave reviews speak for themselves. Contact us today and let us take the stress, strain and worry out of moving.
About: Victory Van provides moving and storage services with warehouse locations in Alexandria Va, Dulles VA, Frederick Md andGaithersburg Md. Contact Victory Van for speciality moves, storage and more.